Saturday, March 3, 2012

And so it begins.....

I suppose I should begin my very first blog by saying that I am a complete stranger to this whole thing. I am not a tweeter, a journalist, or a writer of any sorts. I am simply an american nurse living in Texas who is relocating to London (yes, I mean in England). I thought it would be a great idea to document my journey for all of my family, friends, and fellow nurses.

I guess it's good to begin with a short history of my life so you can get a better picture of the crazy nurse you are about to follow. I was born and raised a true cajun girl in Lafayette, Louisiana. I stayed in my home state for college (Geaux Ragin Cajuns) and completed my Bachelor's degree in nursing in 2009. I then relocated to Austin, Texas out of sheer boredom and the need for excitement.

 Once in Austin I took a job in adult telemetry for 1 year. If anyone wants to know what a-fib and palpitations feel like, I suggest you work on one of these units straight after graduation. As painful as this experience was it has ultimately made me a better nurse, and my team was spectacular.

After that golden year was under my belt I landed the job I had wanted in nursing school.... PEDIATRICS!! I have been working at this wonderful job for 13 months now and am loving this population. And sadly, although I work at a pretty amazing hospital with the most amazing team, I began to feel restless again just 6 months after starting. This can't be it can it? I mean, I love my job, my friends, and my family is within an easy 6 hour drive away, but something is missing. I just can't quite put my finger on it. A boyfriend, you say? husband? kid? Nope, none of those are my answer. It's something else. A need to explore something completely different. Something out of my comfort zone. Something....foreign?? AH HA! That's it!

That brings us to the next question, why England? Why something so far away where everyone talks funny and no one eats barbeque or crawfish etouffee?? My family certainly thought I was insane when I first mentioned this. But if you know me, you will know I have an insatiable appetite for traveling. It has been this way since my first vacation to Florence, Italy in 2007. Since then I have been numerous places from India to Thailand to Ireland. I even spent a summer semester in college in Paris, France. I like to call myself the aimless wanderer.

I chose England because in the 3 times I have visited London, I have made wonderful friends and fell completely in love with the city. There is just no way to see this entire city and what it has to offer in just one short vacation. And let's be honest, the fact that they speak english (though incomprehensible at times) is a bonus. On the nursing perspective, I have no idea what to expect. That simple fact makes it the most exciting. This will without a doubt be the most difficult and challenging self-inflicted task I've had to face. But if you are ready and would like to follow, I will walk you through every step of my life changing process, including giving you my perspectives on adjusting to life in foreign city as an american, a nurse, and a single lady.

8 comments:

  1. Great blog. I too will be using this same agency as is my ICU pediatric friend in Dallas. Hope all works out for you and please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,

    I just wanted to say that I am SO happy that I found your blog!! I have ust been accepted into a bachelors of nursing and will want to go overseas after I gain experience. PLEASE, post more about your experience working there, esp. about how much you budgeted to get there, etc. All the ins and outs! I am travelling to England in one week to visit a very dear and close friend, and plan on moving to his area once I complete my schooling in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I found your blog. My husband and I are both BSN nurses. He is pedi ER and I am NICU. We have a 10 year old daughter. I understand the pay is not as great in England but can a "family" survive comfortably here? Also, how are male nurses accepted? I look forward to reading more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered you blog! I have been in love with England most my life and since my husband is British we are finally moving in May. I know the whole license process is a pain, but here is my problem that maybe you know something about....I only have an Associates Degree and 5 years experience in plastic surgery (OR nurse/recovery/circulating)....am I a lost cause for getting licensed over there? I always meant to get the BSN, but I was the only nurse in charge of running the surgery practice and my hours were nuts. Then I had a baby....do you know of any info on work for nurses with lesser education? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3rd try, never wrote anything on a blog before, am clearly struggeling. i might have a great 1 day job for you! meeting nurses from the US, traveling to london in january. they want to learn about the difference in the US vs UK healthcare system. its a paid job! please email me asap vanessa.stephens@ef.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anna,

    I really enjoyed reading your post! I'm an RN working in the states, about to finish up the nurse practitioner program. Do you have any good resources I could contact about working in England?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for a good information. this is a good information.
    travel nurse jobs

    ReplyDelete