Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pence and Pints

Greetings from London fellow traveling nurses/ aspiring traveling nurses!

Wow what another busy week it has been! I am typing this to you all while sitting in bed with a generous glass of red wine (which I fully deserve).

I am getting loads of questions relating to costs of living in London and if traveling is feasible money wise. And the short answer is: you can make anything happen if you want it bad enough.

It is true that the cost of living in London isn't cheap and in fact can be quite stressful on the wallet. On the other hand, if you are willing to branch out and explore you will find that London can be done cheaply without sacrificing fun. Nurses are not as well paid here in comparison to the United States but we are decently paid in London is regards to other professions. Also, as a traveling nurse, we do get a higher salary along with the perks of significantly reduced cost housing compared to permanent staff. Not to mention the flexibility of working in 3 month contracts. I cannot even begin to describe the bliss of not being tied down to a place or having to fight politics that inevitably come with any permanent healthcare job after a while.

My nurse travel companions and I make our salaries work for us and are able to travel about pretty freely. In fact, we just took a weekend hike to Scafell Pike up north in the Lakes District. We had a great time and it didn't cost a fortune. Of course I am not saving much and definitely not contributing to a 401K but I am finding life enriching ways to spend my money. If I spend it on travel, I never feel a cent (or pence) is wasted. But if I spend it on clothes, I would feel guilty. I do think cider and good wine are the exceptions because I will always have spare change to grab a drink with friends!

To make my traveling work, I am a regular visitor of sites such as Travel Zoo and lastminute.com. I am on their alert lists so new deals are always popping up. These range from mini breaks away throughout Europe to great deals west end musicals and dinners. I have also recently discovered the amazing world of travel shows! I just attended a TNT travel show in Angel last week and came out of it with two amazing holidays for next year at 50% off ! Also when I travel, staying in hostels can save a whole heap of money and flying budget airlines always helps reduce costs.

In London, there are loads of free things to do. I am a regular wanderer of Borough Markets and Shoreditch. My Kiwi friend and I have made it a regular thing to go to a new area of London and try different coffee shops. Also, a lot of the museums are free and there are always events to attend! You can even find cheap pints at great pubs and you don't even have to search for them!

Now, I do also love going on a great date. I find my dating life has come alive since moving here. I always suggests going to a new wine bar, pub, restaurant, or exhibition as part of them. Not only is it a great way to meet new and interesting people but it's also a great way to come out of it with a couple of drinks and possibly dinner (sorry guys, this won't help you). But for the ladies, if you aren't attached then I say open your mind to meeting new people! I find that here my confidence has increased ten fold and I genuinely enjoy the differences in everyone I meet.

I try to keep dining out to a minimum but of course splurge every now and then. What's the fun in moving to a new city and not trying the food or getting fancy once in a while? When it comes to groceries, I keep it to the essentials. I am no culinary wizard but have learned to put together cheap meals that last longer. I do find groceries are much cheaper here in comparison to the states though. It is easy to eat more fresh, less processed foods at a good price.

Those are just some of the ways I make a nurses salary work for me while still keeping hold of funds for travel. Of course everyone is different. I can only tell you what works for me. With that being said, I do need to save some money before Christmas since I will be off to Australia for a road trip! Eeeks! Countdown is on!

8 comments:

  1. I totally love your blog, I just read every post in like the past 20 minutes lol. I just wanted to get your opinion on something. My plan after I get my BSN was to continue on with a nurse anesthetist program then move on to a travel nursing company after that, after the required experience of course.To your knowledge would that benefit me in the UK or just be a waste or time and money? Thanks in advance and I look forward to more posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna!
    I discovered your blog a couple of weeks ago and I can’t believe how much we have in common! I’m a 25 year old pediatric nurse in the States with a serious travel bug that I can never seem to satisfy. (I have a blog of my own, continentaldrifter.net, if you’re interested.) I’ve been in touch with Continental TravelNurse for about a year and I finally made up my mind to really do this and signed up for my IELTS. Since reading your posts I’ve sort of been compiling a list of questions I’d like to ask. If you have time to answer a few, would you mind emailing me? I don’t think there’s a way for me to contact you directly through your blog is there? I swear this isn’t a scam or anything, I just don’t want to write a novel in your comment section.
    Thank You!
    Meghan
    Mlsrn88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for you posts, they have been a delight to read. My husband and I hope to hit the road to the UK (me as a travel nurse) in the near future. Keep up the blogs!! Like I said there a delight to read!
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi AnnaMarie!! I am a Telemetry nurse in the United States and have been looking at traveling to the UK to work. I was wondering what company you went through? I was looking up how to move to the UK to be a nurse and it seems so complicated! If you could take some time to help me out I'd greatly appreciate it!! All of your experiences look as though you're having a blast!!! Thanks for taking the time and I enjoy reading about your adventures!!

    Jr050726@live.com is my email if you could contact me! Thanks so much!

    Sincerely,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna, I am looking for Americans to attend a focus group this Friday 29th in central London. Would you be interested please feel free to pass my details on to anyone relevant. 07894 252 111 li@sbxl.com. Please see below.
    Looking for American citizens that have travelled internationally in the last 6 months and shopped for confectionery in duty free. If you are available in Central London Friday at 7pm for 1.5 hours and feel like earning £60 let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anna!

    I am considering travel-nursing in the UK and I have some questions about nurse pay and your experience with other US/foreign nurses while you've been in the UK. Would you mind emailing me at verus.vantran@gmail.com if you have a bit of time?

    Thanks so much!
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello all, my I'm rubbish at timely replies.

    Samantha, the UK does not really recognize any masters or advanced degrees from outside their country. So if you plan to use this program in the states it is definitely not a waste but if it's just for the UK I wouldn't recommend it. They are tricky like that. I work with many master degree RN's and they are on the same pay and same band as I am.

    Jamie, I am with a company called Continental Travelnurse. It was a long process but well worth it in the end. At times for sure frustrating though.

    Lucy, I will be out of the country until April as I am taking a road trip around Australia. You could pretty say I'm flying south for the winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Anna!
    I found your blog and have a few questions. Would you be able to email me? I hope to hear from you! I've been a nurse for 6 years, and Pediatrics is my specialty. My email is: habbsy@hotmail.com
    Heather C.

    ReplyDelete