Friday, January 3, 2014

Excellent Questions

Happy New Year fellow Nursing adventurist! Hope you all had a very merry Christmas and rang in the New Year outside of work.

I am enjoying some downtime back in Louisiana with my family but am off again next week on a 3 month road trip adventure across Australia.

I had an e-mail from a fellow nurse, Megahn asking some great questions about travel nursing. I figured they would be very helpful for some of you who are interesting in practicing in England at some point. She has agreed to let me share her questions with you. I hope they are useful!

1. What kind of housing were you provided? How many people do you live with? How far away from work do you live? Any and all housing details would be appreciated!
 
I lived in a 3 bedroom house for a year and a half. For the first year I had 3 roommates bc one room housed a couple. My housing was fine. Some better than others. Other nurse friends with this company have had up to 4 roomates in a 5 bedroom house. Keep in mind that couples are common so you could be placed with them. I lived across the river from canary wharf, great location, took 30 min to get to work, I lived right off the jubilee line. However, there is some housing out in dulwich and Wimbledon they try to place people if u aren't aware, and that takes an hour to get to work, it's not directly on a tube line. It's luck whether you get good roomates, I had a crazy one the last 3 months I was there but was lucky and had great ones before. 
 
 
 
 
2. How long can you see yourself staying in London? Do you have any desire to go to the other destinations that CTN offers?
 
CTN only has jobs in England, they have not had contracts with Scotland, northern Ireland, or wales since I started nearly 2 years ago. It's falsely Advertised on their site. London has the most jobs but they also have contracts in smaller places like Bristol, Brighton, Oxford. Keep in mind housing is different in all these places and can be more or less. In Oxford it's college dorm style housing....my friends there hated it. 
 
I've lived in London just short of two years. I love it. I do not see myself there forever though. It's amazing to travel and I love the people. I just received an offer to work for an American travel nurse agency with fantastic benefits and pay. So I may be back in the states working in April this coming year! I will keep my UK nurse registration active though because there's an excellent chance I'll miss England and want to return. Amazing thing is, once you've travel nursed abroad, you aren't scared to try anything or move anywhere. 
 
 
 
3. Do you find that you have enough time to enjoy the city or do you feel like you're working all the time? Do you think you get enough time off for traveling and going back to visit family?
I absolutely get enough time to see the city and take 3-4 day weekend trips around Europe. The workload can vary. As long as you meet the 487 hours per 13 week contract they do not care how you get it. Some days I worked three 12 hour shifts and some weeks I worked five 12 hour shifts. One fortnight I had 106 hours. That was rough. As travel nurses we aren't protected there so you just have to stand up for yourself. I also alternated days and nights which if you work the floor, is common. Sometimes I'd come off a night shift and have a day shift the very next day. 
 To me, the hard weeks were worth it and they were usually when I had a trip planned. My floor and manager were extremely flexible in giving me the days I wanted off. Not all my friends were so lucky. To escape long shifts and nights, some of my friends worked clinic jobs, usually Monday to Tuesday or Friday, 8-10 hour days. 

As far as visiting family, I see mine approximately twice a year. The Australians and kiwis go home maybe once a year or every other year depending on their funds. I've either gone between contracts or once for the birth of my niece organized 7 days off in the middle of the contract.
 
 
 
 
4. How do you like working with Continental Travelnurse? Did they make the paperwork and red tape easy to navigate or more complicated? They obviously got you placed in a pediatric unit, which I’m assuming is what you asked for. Was getting that position a problem at all?
 
Working for Continental Travelnurse has been a good experience for me. Not all my friends would agree. Like any travel company you must keep all your contracts, paperwork, and time sheets. And get very clear criteria on hours and housing and all the extra charges. They have tried to charge me unjustly but I always have my papers to show them so it works out. 

The first recruiter I had was a star and very much cared about me. She has left to take a job in the states. The one I have now has 50 nurses so she isn't around as much. Keep in mind I worked on the same floor for 5 contracts in a row. I've been asking for a peds clinic job since my second contract and they always tell me there's none but other friends a week later are placed in peds clinics. Sometimes it's easier for the company to keep you at the same job so they don't have to take the effort to locate you a new placement. I personally have asked my manager if they wanted me back so I've taken care of my contracts myself. Continental just handled the paperwork. A few nurse friends have had this experience too. 

On the other hand, I've had friends placed in jobs they didn't really want or have had to hassle their recruiter constantly for a job. Other times, you get lucky and get a recruiter that's more organized and will find you placement. There are lots of peds jobs so you won't have trouble there. I just know some places are worse to work than others. Nursing there can be real sweet, like in my case, or horrible with insane patient loads. It's best to talk with fellow nurses and get opinions on the different floors and places to work. 

The company was best for getting me over to England. But organization on my part has been a key factor in keeping it smooth. 
 
 
 
 
5. What can I expect to get paid?
 
Please keep in mind this is pay for specifically London, other cities around England pay less and the housing is more. 

As a non specialty you get paid £14/hour. Working nights you get £16/hour. Sundays are £ 18/hour. There is no overtime pay and no bonuses. It's flat out these rates. At the beginning of each 13 week assignment you get £175 for travel expenses. Holiday pay is approximately 0.75/hour completed at the end of your contract. 

If you work specialty like ICU or the OR the rate is £16/hour. 

The housing in London costs £75/week (£300/month) and they take this out of your check per fortnight. You also have to take into account that with each paycheck, approximately 20-25% of taxes will come out. 

If you are short on hours for your contract they will charge you £4 per hour your short. You can either make up these hours or pay. So if you're sick, you must pay or make them up. Also, if you live in their housing and are short hours they will charge you. You are only allowed 1 week of free housing at the end of each contract if your hours are met. If you take over than that, they can charge up to £200/week. This has happened to me and 2 of my friends. To not get charged, if you want to take more than 1 week off at the end of an assignment to travel, you must move out of the house. 

The agency won't tell you any of these things but these are all correct rates and consequences of not meeting hours. As long as you meet your hours, get everything in writing, and move out of the house for long trips, you will have a smooth and uncomplicated experience. 

38 comments:

  1. Hello! Thank you for posting your blogs i found it very helpful! My husband is in the Air force and we just moved to England in August and we are based 2 hour away from London and we will be here for 4 years. Im just curious though do you see any assignment for Cambridge? as we live only 30 mins from Cambridge and that would be an easier commute for me than going to London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! I'm glad you find it helpful!

      I see assignments mostly for London, Brighton, Oxford, and Bristol. I'm not sure if the agency is doing contracts in Cambridge. My friends have not been offered assignments there and neither have I.

      Delete
  2. Hi, nice blog shared above. Really very interesting post shared above. Really liked it. Awaiting for more posts like this.

    http://www.nursinggig.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful to have found your blog...Im just starting the process of looking into a move out there. Did you find it difficult to convert your college credit hours to the actual practice hours the NMC asks for? The number of hours they ask for sounds like so much even though I have a BSN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia,

      Yes I found it incredibly difficult! It seems like so much because their nursing students do full shifts multiple days a week but just really follow the nurse around. They don't get to do much.

      The head of my nursing college allowed me to painstakingly convert every single class for my degree from freshman year. Make sure to include lab hours with clinicals and time spent doing projects, community presentations, and papers/research. I then submitted it to her and she put it on letterhead and approved it. I still fell slightly short because our degrees are so different but the NMC approved it.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. AnnaMarie,

      I just posted on her with one of your earlier post but found this certain blog. Right now I am in the process of working with my schools (I have 3 to work with-this is getting to be a nightmare) When you converted your hours, did your school let you know how many hours per credit to use or did you use the typical 10/credit? Thank you for all your insight, if I ever get past this stage, I will be excited to start in London. I have similar goals like you did in which I want to travel around as my main purpose!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely loved reading your blog. I have one year left in nursing school in the states, and then I plan on moving to London to be near my sister who will be moving to England soon. I am curious about a few things. I won't have any experience working (having just graduated), do you think I could still get a job in England? Would you reccommend that I don't do that? Also, your work week sounds hectic, and I am worried I won't be able to keep up (energy wise).
    can you be more specific about how your week exactly goes? Thank you so much

    Cheyanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheyanne,

      Thanks for following the blog!
      Personally, it would be so much better of you have work experience in the states and most hospitals want you to have it before they hire you. 1 year preferably but even 6 months would help.

      The work week is quite hectic and I'm exhausted after each day. Living in London is not relaxed. You still have to consider the hour it'll take you to get to work by transport/walking and back home. It's not for everyone. I work 3-4 12 hr shifts per week and sometimes up to 5. All depends what type of placement you'd get. I think every minute of exhaustion is worth it! All depends on each person specifically though!

      Please let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  5. Hi! My husband is an RN from Dallas, TX and we are currently in the process of applying to move to the UK with Continental Travelnurse. I would love to get so more information... especially about the ONP. He is concerned about the 20 day course and THEN having to work "supervised" for a set amount of time, do you know much about the post-ONP work? Also, is it possible to get housing as a couple (me with him)? Thanks, look forward to your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke,

      I can definitely understand his concern! I do not agree with the new changes at all (the supervised practice after) . I did not have to complete it so I don't have personal experience. I do know that it is not paid. The 20 day course itself is simple but again, you aren't paid while doing it. You only have to show up for an in person lecture 3 times per week then take a test at the end (50 easy questions). The rest of the time is spent filling in a large book about the NMC which is just lots of writing and busy work.

      You can room with your spouse in agency housing for a fee. I think they charge the partner the same amount per week as the nurse working and the whole amount get deducted per fortnight out of the nurse's check. You have to keep in mind there is no private housing and you will be placed with anywhere from 2-3 other housemates. It's really luck in how big your room is. I've shared with a couple who were lucky enough to have their own bathroom but this isn't common and couples do not get first choice. It depends who is in the house longest as to who gets the biggest and best room. That's the honest side no matter what the agency tries to tell you!

      I really hope this helps you! And I've got a job offer in Dallas believe it or not but not sure I'd want to leave London yet! The American nurse pay would be nice though!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your blog! It has been very informative. You mentioned The Overseas Nursing Programme class/self-study portion, but were you required to complete the period of supervised practice in the UK? Did you have to complete it prior to NMC giving you a license? Did the agency arrange this for you? Were you paid for your supervised work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tammy!
      I did not have to complete the supervised practice, as it is a new requirement they've implemented in the last 2 months. I was given my license after completion of the ONP.

      As I understand, nurses aren't paid during this new requirement so that is the pain. I hope it does not last long, they will lose loads of great nurses who want to come in.

      Delete
    2. Oh, no - that's difficult to hear. Sadly, the wind has been removed from my sails. It would be a stretch to fund the ONP class and living expenses, but doable. However, it would be practically impossible to then extend that to three months or more of unpaid supervised work and living expenses. If you do hear of any changes to the requirement, please let us know. Enjoy your blessings and time abroad.

      Delete
  7. I am so envious of your travel experiences abroad. I was hoping you could give me some advice. I have been an RN for 5 years, and I have been a travel RN for 2 years. I have an Associates of Science in Nursing, but I have a Bachelors of Science in Biology and Chemistry. Am I eligible for endorsement to the UK? Or is it a requirement that the BS be in Nursing? Thanks Again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the pay rate the same (in London) with all hospitals they're connected with? I'm looking to working with CTN soon as I get my decision letter. I applied for them as a Theatre Nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To the poster above, from what I understand you need a BSN and 1 year work experience to work in London.

    Thank you, This has given me so much information, thank you for posting. My boyfriend works in London and I have just graduated with my ADN. When I was in England, I was told I need a BSN and one year of work experience to work in England. After your experience, in my situation, would you recommend going to London and working or working through an agency in the US. Like you, I love to travel and usually go for extending backpacking trips. As a student, I was able to do this on summer holidays, but with the normal "yank" work schedule, I will be lucky to get two weeks off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this blog. This post in particular is very informative. I'm from TX, I want to go to nursing school in Massachusetts then going on to London to work as a nurse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, I am glad it helps! You've got great goals, stick with it, it has been worth every minute.

      Delete
  11. I really like your blog, especially considering that I am filling out paperwork for the same traveling agency. I'm still having second thoughts and am very nervous about the whole processes. I've never done traveling nurse but you're blogs about travel and exploring the world build up my confidence.
    I work at a facility that encourages nurse autonomy and I'm able to preform many skills in the ICU and engage in decision making with physicians. Do nurses in the UK ICUs have this same work flow? Does the UK push research and evidence-based practice in their clinical settings? I like working in an environment that is doing innovate research and feeling like I make a difference. I know a lot of your blog is about traveling and a unique experience the country. I want to start seeing the world, but I'm also very engaged in my professional achievements and have been unable to find answers to these questions. Any comment would be helpful in making the decision to follow through with a big move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erinn,

      I will be completely honest with as I have multiple friends that work in ICU's/PICU's across London from Australia, New Zealand, and the States. You have to choose what your priority is right now. English nursing will not challenge you. My friends describe their time in the English hospital setting as a break and I have to admit that I agree.

      It is not nearly as challenging than the US. And you will not have much autonomy, especially as a traveler and foreigner. The biggest complaint from my nurses abroad is that they are not able to voice their concerns and feel they do not like the way things are always done in England because it is pretty old school.

      I didn't mind this because my main goal and passion is travel, even above nursing. I loved my job in England but it was a piece of cake. You will only learn different ways to do things but will not advance. So take some time to really consider what your goals are right now. I am currently doing a 3 month contract at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and wow, the research, EBP, and skills Ive acquired blow me away. There is nothing even close to that in England.

      I really hope this helps in your decision! Good luck with everything !

      Delete
  12. Hey Anna,

    I kind of stumbled on your blog and I'm glad I did! I have been thinking about traveling abroad to work for awhile now. So, I've been an RN for going on 6 years and I will complete my nurse practitioner program in a few short months! So do you know anything about American NPs working in England? Or have any good resources that I could look into. I am like you in that I love traveling and I think I would really love living in England for a while (bedsides the fact I'll probably get homesick at first, haha).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi AnnaMarie-

    I'm working on stage 2 of the NMC application, how were you able to convert your transcripts? I called my BSN school and nobody there seemed to have any idea as to the conversion factors or numbers to use? Any advice? Please let me know!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnnaMarie,
    Thank you SO much for writing your blog. I've been scouring the internet for advice on international travel nursing from an American's perspective so THANK YOU. I was also happy to find someone that went thru Continental Travelnurse as I contacted a recruiter - Annabel - this week about travel opportunities. I see that the requirements are going to change as of Oct 1, 2014. Do you know of anyone that is going through the new process?
    I have my BSN and have worked in surgery for the past 5 years. After a 2 week trip to Eastern Europe, I came back to the states with the deep desire to live abroad. Lucky for me, nursing is a degree that allows for great flexibility in that! Your experience is EXACTLY what I would like to to do: work in England and then use all my free time and money traveling.
    A few questions..
    How hard was the IELTS test? How much did you prepare for it?
    Where is the best place to live in England? How much control do you have over the job placement?
    Do you have any nurse friends that worked in surgery or theatre that I could contact?

    Again, thank you so much for your blog and advice!
    Angela
    Denver, CO
    email: amcartor08@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thankyou for a great post. My situation is a little different as i am a British citizen with a bachelor's from the uk but an mba from the US and currently pursing a BSN. I know there's always been a huge difference in salary between us nursing and the uk but I'm considering eventually going home and wondered can a nursing salary provide a good income in the uk specifically london? Also how hard is it to transfer the credits? Are there courses I should make sure I take or is it the clinical and work experience afrer that counts for more?

    Thank you again it's great of you to help everyone like this!

    Denise
    riveradenise12@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are you still in England?? I would love to ask you some questions regarding the process and finding placement with a good facility. I'm a nurse in Texas right now, approaching 18 months in experience. Would love to hear back from you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog has sparked my interest in travel nursing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your blog! Do you know if they allow families to take assignments together? My husband and I are both nurses and we have 2 little ones. Do they allow you a housing stipend and can you find your own housing?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, it has been a awhile since your last blog. Have you been back to England since? I am in the beginning stages of finding an agency. The licensure process seems very confusing and expensive. I saw that the tests alone were over 1,000 pounds? Will the agency help pay for that?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such an amazing blog and very informative blog i really appreciate it.

    Nursing Dissertation Help

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi. Are you still working in England? I am considering it and I just contacted Continental Travel Nurse. I am overwhelmed by the process and the cost of it. Do you think I can live in London without roommates?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi. Are you still working in England? I am considering it and I just contacted Continental Travel Nurse. I am overwhelmed by the process and the cost of it. Do you think I can live in London without roommates?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi. Are you still working in England? I am considering it and I just contacted Continental Travel Nurse. I am overwhelmed by the process and the cost of it. Do you think I can live in London without roommates?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, I'm a NICU nurse in the US and I've been looking into using CTN to work in the UK so I was excited to find your blog! Did you have any problems working in peds/getting the children's nursing license in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello, an amazing Information dude. Thanks for sharing this nice information with us. Locum Jobs UK

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great article. Actually, I was looking for nursing jobs in UK from Kerala - a southern state of India. The NMC (UK) processing was somewhat convoluted back then. The new system is completely online and much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My friend got free visa from best study abroad consultants in Kerala. We are moving to online so, covid-19 free.

    ReplyDelete